Dentures & Partial Dentures – Gainesville, VA
Regain a Complete, Confident Smile
Teeth may be small, but they play a huge role in your daily life. Whether you’re missing a few pearly whites or an entire arch of teeth, tooth loss can take a bite out of your confidence and quality of life. At D Smiles Family Dentistry, we can help you regain a complete, confident smile with custom-made dentures in Gainesville. Read on to learn about this quick, easy, and affordable tooth replacement option, and give us a call when you’re ready to replace your missing teeth!
What Are Full Dentures & Partial Dentures?
Depending on how many teeth you’re missing, you may benefit from full or partial dentures. Both types of prosthetic are formed using a gum-colored base material to support the replacement teeth. Thanks to modern, high-quality dental materials, dentures are more durable and natural-looking than ever before.
Partial dentures are molded to fit between your healthy teeth like a puzzle piece, and discreet metal clasps are used to secure the denture in place. Full dentures use a precisely crafted based to fit snugly but comfortably on top of your gums. This custom fit creates a natural suction that stabilizes the denture.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Dentures?
Dentures are a classic restoration that can help almost anyone with missing teeth. You may be a good candidate for dentures if you have:
- Extensive tooth loss: Partial and full dentures can replace numerous teeth. If you’re only missing one or two teeth, a dental bridge may be a better choice for you.
- Healthy teeth: Partial dentures can’t rely on teeth suffering from tooth decay. We may recommend fillings or an extraction to ensure your mouth is ready for dentures.
- Some jawbone density: Your jawbone begins to shrink after tooth loss. It’s important that you still have at least enough bone to help your lower full dentures fit properly.
- Healthy gums: Gum disease should always be addressed right away. If left untreated, it can cause painful gum sores, tooth loss, jawbone damage, and an increased risk of heart disease.
What Are Implant-Retained Dentures?
As an alternative to traditional removable dentures, we may be able to anchor your restoration in place with dental implants. Implant-retained dentures are supported by small titanium posts that are surgically placed into your jawbone. Once they fuse with the bone tissue, you’ll never feel your dentures slip out of place and you’ll be able to comfortably enjoy all your favorite foods.
To be a good candidate for implant-retained dentures, you’ll need to be in good health, have great oral health, and have adequate jawbone density. During your consultation, we’ll carefully inspect your mouth and review your medical history to see if dental implants are a good option for you.
Tips for Maintaining Dentures
Even though dentures aren’t vulnerable to cavities like natural teeth, it’s still very important for your oral health that you keep them clean! You can maintain a strong, sparkling smile by keeping a few simple tips in mind, like:
- Use the right dental products: Since normal toothbrushes and toothpastes can scratch your dentures, only use soft denture brushes and non-abrasive denture cleaners.
- Clean your dentures regularly: Plaque and bacteria can build up on your dentures, so it’s important to clean them at least once a day to minimize your risk of serious oral health issues.
- Don’t forget to soak your dentures: Soaking your dentures every night in plain water or special denture solution is key for disinfecting them and keeping your gums healthy.
Are you ready to get back your complete, confident smile? Give us a call today to see what type of dentures are right for you!