Emergency Dentist Saving Gainesville Smiles
Emergencies, by their very definition, are unpleasant and stressful. Many of our patients are unsure of what to do during a dental emergency. Should they go to a hospital or call 911? Do they have to wait until their next dental checkup? At D Smiles Family Dentistry, we’re here to help whenever you need us, and that includes dental emergencies. In most cases, we’re able to provide same day urgent care appointments to keep you smiling. The first step is to contact our office. Even if it’s outside of regular office hours, you’ll be given directions on how to get in touch with a team member. Once we’re on the phone, a knowledgeable member of our dental team will carefully explain how to manage pain and provide first aid tips until you reach our office.
Kick any bad biting habits you may have to prevent unnecessary dental emergencies. This includes chewing on nails, ice, or pen caps. You should also avoid using teeth as tools to open packages and crack nuts.
Caring for Your Smile at Home
A team member will walk you through first aid and pain management over the phone, but a few basics to keep in mind include:
- Clean the area to prevent infection or inflammation
- Stop bleeding by applying pressure to the damaged area or using ice packs at 20-minute intervals
- Reduce pain by taking over the counter pain medications or applying ice
- Prevent swelling by using a cold compress at 20-minute intervals
- Retain any pieces of teeth or whole teeth by replacing them in the vacated socket or storing them in milk or water